History

History of the Boys and Girls Club of Durham

The Eastview Boys' and Girls' Club was founded in 1963 by the Simcoe Hall Women's Welfare League of Oshawa. In 1989 the Eastview Boys and Girls Club received its own charter of operation with its own Board of Directors. The club has a core membership of approximately 1000, located in twenty units, and serves an approximate user population of 6,000 per year, representing an age range from 4 years old to 80 plus. The main client program base however is 4-18 years of age.

The first Executive Director of the Eastview Boys and Girls Club was Harold W. McNeill, who later was appointed judge of the Juvenile and Family Court of Oshawa/Whitby. Judge McNeill served as Executive Director for the club from 1960 to 1968 and was responsible for the funding and building of the new and present club prior to its opening in 1963.

We welcomed Lisa McNee-Baker, our first female Executive Director in 2007-2019.  Lisa was responsible for establishing many programs to our club, including our club renovation in 2018. In 2011, Eastview Boys' and Girls' Club officially changed its name to the Boys and Girls Club of Durham to reflect that our club serves the entire Durham Region. 

In September 2012, two more units opened. As of September 2013, the Boys and Girls Club of Durham offers After-school program in 21 locations throughout the Durham Region.

History Collage Final

Copyright © 2019 Boys & Girls Club of Durham